Thursday, April 17, 2008

My tender hearted one

I had a terrible migraine 2 weeks ago and after it had subsided some, I descended the stairs and was met by Kylee who asked how I was feeling. "I'm better, but not perfect," I answered. "Oh, Mommy, yes you are perfect! You're the best mom ever!"

***
On another day with another headache I was a little irritable and felt it necessary to let my kids know I was sorry for being a bit snappy with them. Kylee answered ever so sweetly, "Oh, Mommy, it's OK. We still love you just the way you are!"

***
On a week when I was studying airplanes with the boys, we were searching for airplane clips on the internet. We unintentionally viewed a short clip from 9-11 and Kylee was suddenly very concerned and had all sorts of questions. First she asked if it was her Daddy's building that was hit, and I was able to reassure her that it wasn't, though on that day, some daddy's were lost. "Oh Mommy! I would be so sad if my daddy were there! I want to go there and teach those men how to be kind! They need to know about Jesus!"

***
Kylee has also had several questions about war lately, which we have attempted to answer in simple, age appropriate ways while encouraging patriotism and appreciation for the troops. One day when she was talking on the phone with her Papa, Kylee said, "There are some men, big and strong like my Daddy, but not my Daddy because I would never let him go to war, but some men just like my Daddy have to go to war and fight for our country!"

***
While working on writing some thank yous, Kylee kept writing her S's backwards. "How 'bout we just work on S's for a little while?" I suggested. Kylee let out a frustrated grunt and retorted, "I used to be so good at those! Maybe God took my thinking away!"

***
Kylee was talking about the kids in her class and stated there was one kid who was always getting in trouble. I suggested to her that we pray for that little boy. She had an idea too! "I think that I need to bring my Bible to school and bring him out in the hall so that I can read it to him and show him the pictures of Jesus dying on the cross for him! Maybe then he can be nice!"

***
We have always found it important to teach our kids that it is a privilege to live in a country where we are free to go to church, learn about and worship God. Kylee, in particular, understands that this is not a privilege that every Christian has. One afternoon I found Kylee packing some of her little toys into bags and back packs. "I'm going on a trip on an airplane!" She announced, stuffing one bag full. "And where are you taking the airplane to?" I asked her. "To China!" She announced, then continued, "but I have to be very careful there because I am bringing gifts for the children and I don't want to go to jail for loving Jesus!"

2 comments:

Jan said...

It reminds me of when Desert Storm started and I was in the kitchen cooking and Terra was eating breakfast. We were talking about the draft and men going to war and she said with her mouth full of cereal that she would hide her daddy.

Kristi Smith said...

"I want to go there and teach those men how to be kind! They need to know about Jesus!"

What a beautiful desire!