Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wednesday nights at the Roots



Wednesday nights at the Roots this year has been busy!! We eat an early dinner and are off to church for AWANAs. The boys love the Honeybee program for 2-3 year olds and always have fun singing, playing and creating fun projects. Kylee is completing her second year in Cubbies and enjoys the singing, games and Bible verse memorization. Jim and I have been Cubbies leaders during the year and it has been a fun and wild ride! It's an hour and a half of high energy and organized craziness with 50 plus kids! :O) AWANA is now ending for the year and I've been looking forward to having our Wednesday nights free, but last night at our final Cubbies meeting I was surprised to find myself actually in tears as I listened to the kids retelling the lessons they learned throughout the year. Many of the kids remembered the stories and characters that we studied. A few kids could apply the stories to their own lives, for example, "God was with David as he fought Goliath, and He will also be with me when I might be afraid." I was especially emotional when we talked about Easter and the kids spoke of Jesus dying for them and then rising again. A small handful of kids knew what this meant to them personally and stated that Jesus had taken away their sins and that they had asked him into their hearts. Little kids, knowing their need for a Savior! It was wonderful!! Childlike faith is so very refreshing and I am so grateful that I've been able to be involved in these kids' life all year long, every Wednesday night.

2 comments:

Jan said...

What is that quote about years from now people won't remember if I made the bed, or if I wrote a report at work, but my children will know I was important in their lives and played ball with them and taught them about Jesus.

BigSaps said...

I'm so grateful that you and Jim joined us for Cubbies this year. It wasn't what any of us had planned, but I know God taught us all through the experience. :) I love the AWANA family picture!