Sunday, November 2, 2008

faith

As I sat in church today I looked around at the people who surrounded me. Some I knew well, others were mere acquaintances, and many were strangers. What really stood out to me as I looked about was the pain that I knew existed in the lives of so many. There was the family who had just lost their baby girl. Several families who just experienced job losses. Others I knew of who had lost a mother, an aunt, a friend. There was a young woman just diagnosed with cancer and a young father who was being tested for a tumor found on his kidney. There were couples I knew with struggling marriages and those who had struggles with their children. So many burdens being carried, so much pain and heartache. As I remembered each hurting family, it is no surprise that my eyes constantly glistened with fresh tears throughout the morning. I felt great heaviness for their hurt, but also great joy for the strength they showed ... strength given from a Source that I wish all would choose to know!

Our Source is sovereign. He sustains us and strengthens us when we are weak. He comforts us when we are hurt and broken. He builds us up when we stumble and fall. It is our knowledge that we can not do it alone, that we can never be "good enough" by our own efforts that welcomes in faith in such a Savior. This enduring faith is life giving, soul enriching, hope filling, weakness revealing, character building, purpose providing, fruit producing and all encompassing.

This faith is not a crutch that we lean upon, but a foundation upon which to build our lives. I am so grateful for such a foundation and, no matter what life brings, a hope for a future that is sure not to disappoint!!

No comments: