Monday, February 18, 2008

A boy and his baseball glove


Colson has recently reminded me of just how important it is to see each of my kiddos as unique individuals with different strengths, tastes and passions. God has created all 3 of them in such amazing ways, each one so completely different from one another! I have found lately, that relating to my Colson has been a little harder for me to do. He is very temperamental - dramatic and emotional and whiny and being 3 (which was also a hard year for me with Kylee) has only intensified his unpredictable behavior. So, I have been praying that God would allow me to connect at a deep level with my precious son and to be given time to enjoy who he is rather than dealing with his sometimes radical reactions to disappointments.

One day I was strolling down the aisles of Target with my boys, we found 2 small leather baseball gloves on clearance. For just $3 apiece, I couldn't pass them up. I never would have imagined that little glove would be such an answer to prayer. As soon as we got home, Cole was tearing through the bags trying to find his baseball glove. "Mom, will you play catch with me, pleeeeezzz???" He desperately pleaded with me. I looked around the kitchen at all I needed to do for the Ladies Night I was hosting at our home that evening. I felt anxious, but God quickly spoke to my heart and reminded me that I had prayed for such an opportunity, even if it came at the most inopportune time. And in that moment, I was given the peace of mind to completely rearrange my priorities. I looked my son in the eyes with a smile and agreed to play catch. It was wonderful to see his excitement and hear his laughter while playing catch, just he and I.

Cole's passion for his new glove has brought forth many more opportunities to bond with both Daddy and me and it has been so fun! For one example, at dinner tonight Jim was telling each of the kids things he loved about them. Speaking to Colson he said, "I love how curious and inquisitive you are!" Cole scrunched his brow in confusion and said, "What you say, Daddy?" However, Jim didn't hear and continued, "and you are so careful and meticulous!" Again, Cole furrowed his brow and said, "I not hear what you say!" Obviously, he didn't know what the words "inquisitive" and "meticulous" meant. Then, Jim said something that Cole understood! "I love how much you love playing baseball! It's so fun to play catch with you!" At that, Cole's face exploded with joy and he turned to me with a smile saying, "Mommy! Daddy say he loves playing baseball with me!" He quickly finished off his dinner that he had just told me he didn't want to eat saying, "I eat my dinner really fast and then I play baseball with my Daddy!" And he did.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Wow, What a precious memory that is! This is why you're blogging because in a year or so, you probably wouldn't remember that evening. But now you will!