Wednesday, February 27, 2008
The sweetest little sick girl
For the past 3 days Kylee's been battling a bit of a fever. When the medicine is in full affect she is almost herself and we've played over 20 games of Memory in the last 24 hours. But, as the medicine dwindles, her fever jumps up to over 104 and she becomes lethargic and just crashes on the couch. The thing that surprises me is how sweet she continues to be, even when she feels crummy. The first morning of her fever she jumped into bed with me and said, "I love you, Mommy!" I told her that I loved her too, to which she replied, "Mommy, you kinda have stinky breath, but I still love you!" I turned my head away from her, but kept my arms wrapped around her scalding body. "Thanks, Mom, you're the best!"
That same morning we came downstairs and she collapsed on the couch and curled up in a blanket. "Mommy, please don't forget to call Mrs. Pyka and let her know that I won't be able to come to school today, OK?" I couldn't believe that in spite of her sickness she was still making sure that I was following through with responsibilities.
Yesterday, when her medicine was at it's peak, I couldn't keep her out of the kitchen! "I would like to help you, Mommy, what can I do?" I assured her that I didn't need her help, especially when she was sick, and asked that she just relax and rest on the couch. She was persistent, however, and went to find her brothers to "help".
She always has a hard time taking her medicine too, but we've found that when we remind her that cousin Connor needs to take his medicine every day she will agree that having to take it for just a few days isn't so bad. Well, comparing her medicine intake to her cousin's has confused her a bit. Last night as she curled up on the mattress on the floor in our room she asked, "Will my hair fall out too, Mommy?" Understanding where she was coming from after seeing Connor lose his hair during the intense course of his leukemia treatment, I was able to explain to her that he has been really sick and she's just a little sick. It seemed to make sense to her, but every now and again she'll want reassurance that her hair is not falling out.
And, lastly, we've had lots of conversations about trying not to share our germs. When Daddy called yesterday to check on his little princess I gave him an update and then asked Kylee if she would like to talk to him. "Oh no, Mommy, I wouldn't want to get him sick because he is so special to me!" She absolutely adores that man, and I totally understand why!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kylee girl, I sure hope your fever is gone and you're feeling much better today. I've been praying for you. You are such a sweet girl and I love you sooo much. I miss you!!
Love and hugs from
Your Grammy
Kylee, I'm so sorry you're sick! That is not fun, but I'm so glad that you have Jesus to help you be thankful in all things. Isn't wonderful to know that Jesus is caring for us even when we're sick. I hope you feel better soon!
Poor girlie, thinking her hair is going to fall out because of children's tylenol (or whatever). I sure hope she feels better soon! It seems like you guys have had more than your fair share of sickness this year. :-(
Post a Comment