Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Moments I don't want to forget



As we have talked extensively with the kids about foster care and the babies we'll be caring for, they are very eager to have one finally in our home! I told them that even though it's hard to wait for a baby to arrive that we can still think of them and pray for them where they're at right now. One day, I walked into my room and found Kylee with her hands folded and head bowed over the cradle, mumbling softly. I let her have some time and when she was finished I asked her what she was doing.

"I was just talking to God about the babies that He's gonna bring us."

*****

One day Kaden woke up and somehow felt like today was going to be the day that our first baby would arrive (we won't be licensed until the end of Feb/early March). At one time I found him collecting all sorts of toys and balls and then watched him carry them all upstairs and dump them in the cradle. When he caught me watching him he stated, "That's for the baby, Mommy!"


Later, he heard a car driving by on the street outside and ran excitedly to the door and opened it (I didn't know he could do that)! "Yeah! The baby's here, the baby's here! They bringing the baby!" he yelled as he looked outside.

*****

The day before our first home visit I was busy cleaning and organizing and child proofing our home. Once I got started, it was hard to stop! The kids started getting hungry for lunch and after a "just one minute" too many from me, Kylee took matters into her own hands. "Mom, can I just make lunch?" she asked with frustration ringing in her tone. "Sure, you can get them started!" I answered. Well, just moments later I went into the kitchen and Kylee had quite the lunch spread going on. She was serving up the boys plates while telling them, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" But the boys were happy enough with their all-carb lunch that they had no need to complain!




*****

Kylee was having a hard day showing respect and was sent upstairs to have a little quiet time. Ten minutes later I went up to talk to her and found her with her Bible opened to the picture of Jesus dying on the cross and singing , "Jesus died for all the children, died for all the children of the world!" in a compassionate, sorrowful voice. Tears filled my eyes and I sat on her bed beside her as she wiped the page with a blanket. "Mommy, I am trying to wipe away all His owies, but I can't make them go away!"

No comments: