Sunday, May 4, 2008

Experiencing foster care


It has been no surprise to me that life with 4 young ones is busy!! But, in all actuality, we didn't expect this to be easy...we naturally expected to be stretched, to sacrifice and to be challenged in ways that we couldn't even imagine when we first went through the licensing process. And, most importantly, we felt intentionally led by our Maker to do just what we are now doing. He created a desire within our hearts to help hurting and/or orphaned kids long ago and He gave us children with helpful, eager, tender hearts that are proud and excited about having "our baby" in the family. It is that calling, knowing that God is working out His purpose in our lives, that gets us through the chaotic moments and sleep deprived nights!
All the kids are crazy about the baby. Colson asked today if we could have more and more babies to care for. I told him Mommy could handle just one at a time, and he said, "but I want to care for ALL the babies!" No jealousy here!! :O)

What I have been sometimes surprised at is the reactions or responses we receive from others. While our friends have been warm, supportive and excited about our new little man, people who may not even know me have been sometimes quite bold in their opinions. One woman thought it was sad that we would only be a temporary home for this baby and insisted that we adopt him. I tried to explain that this child was not adoptable at this point, but children often need safe homes to go to in the midst of personal family crisis. She continued on and I got the idea that her only associations with foster homes were negative ones. I smiled politely and informed her that there wasn't much we could do but be committed to loving this boy with all we had for as long as we were blessed by his presence in our home.

Just moments later I was hugged by a woman I barely knew, thanking me for what I was doing and calling me a super mom. Hardly!! I am an ordinary person who serves an extraordinary God!! Only by His work in my life can I accomplish anything good. And even when I do what He has asked me to, I still do it so imperfectly!

Then yesterday, while we were getting some fresh air, a neighbor from a few houses down drove by, stopped and asked when my new baby was born! I was tempted to giggle at how I could have hidden my pregnancy so well, but realized we have just barely come out of hibernation from the long, cold winter.

Most of the time, people think we're crazy. "You weren't busy enough?" or "What happened, were you getting bored or something?" or "Well, how are your kids doing, don't they feel displaced?" It may be hard for some to understand, but knowing we're in God's will makes all the sacrifice, hard work and challenges worthwhile.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks Territa for keeping us updated in the midst of all the busy-ness that is going on at the Root household!

Kristi Smith said...

It's often difficult for those who do not know Jesus to understand the joy that comes in sharing in his sacrificial nature! I'm glad that you're rejoicing in being able to serve him in such a beautiful way, loving and caring for one of his displaced children. I'm proud of you (all five of you!).

Love,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Great post, T -- Thanks for sharing so honestly and deeply!

Love,
Dad B.

Oregon-Mama said...

Hi Terra and Jim,

We are so excited that you have decided to be foster parents! Robert and I took the classes last November/December and plan on being foster parents in the future. We have actually decided to begin the adoption process through the State of Oregon to provide a home for a child (or sibling group) who has been in the foster system. I look forward to hearing about your experiences and how God is using you in such amazing ways! You will be in our prayers.

~The Benningtons (friends of the Gundersons and Berglunds:))