Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Proud to be an American


Here in the Midwest, Memorial Day is celebrated almost as much as Independence Day.
People are clad in our country's colors. Parades and celebrations abound.
American flags hang from every street light and line the perimeters of many yards.
Never in my life have I felt so proud to be an American and so blessed by all the freedom we have in this country.
And freedom comes at a great price to so many. I think my favorite part about Memorial
Day is honoring the veterans. As their float and trucks drive by in the parade, all are dressed in their attire. Some are marching holding flags high, others ride in the flat bed of the truck,
and others wheel their wheel chairs quickly beside. The best part?
Everyone in attendance at the parade stands and applauds the soldiers.
And it moves me to tears every time. Men and women who have risked their lives to fight for the freedom that I enjoy each and every day.
I am so grateful.


The kids were so excited and kept pointing and shouting, "LOOK!"


The boys loved the fire truck!


The kids got a kick out of this.


Kylee always willing to pose for a picture!

As we left the parade and stopped at a lemonade stand on the way to the car, I asked the kids
what they enjoyed most. Kaden liked the police cars, fire trucks and dancing to the music
of the marching bands. Colson enjoyed the horses, balloons, bikes and the yellow car. Kylee,
always surprising me with her maturity, said, "Mom, I really liked the ponies a lot. But
I think my favorite part was the soldiers, because they fought in the war for us!"

After the parade, we headed to a friend's home for a cook-out (the midwestern term for BBQ) and some volleyball.


The dessert table with chocolate American cheesecake and American peanut butter pie



the kids finally getting to play after waiting patiently for the adults to finish





2 comments:

Jan said...

I love that song on your blog for today. I remember it was played a lot after 9/11. True words.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you make me want to move to the Midwest!

Papa