Wow, what a day!! I was not, in the least, looking forward to this year's birthday. The big 3-0. I don't know how I could be that old when I still feel so young. (OK, I'm told 30 is young, but it still sounds much older than I should be!! :O) I look at the college kids and feel like I could still fit in with them, but I know they look at me married, with kids and see me as an older woman. In fact, I was just recently asked to be the "older woman" mentor to a younger woman. Maybe I just need to accept that I am getting older. :O)
My first shock came at 11pm on the eve of my birthday. Jim was "at work late" (so I was told) and I was sitting home alone talking to my mom on the phone when she and my dad walk into my house with Jim!!! It took awhile for reality to sink in, but they had come out from Oregon to surprise me for the big day. I was so touched and so very excited!!!
Dad, me, sister Sheila and Mom
After talking late into the night with them, I was allowed a full night's rest and even a morning of relaxation as I actually took a shower, brushed my teeth and put some make-up on for the day. These 3 things seem to never happen all in the same morning, so it was a big deal to me!! :O) I came downstairs and was greeted with wonderful cards from my family as well as a sweet "Happy Birthday" rendition from the kids. :O)
After taking Kylee to school, I was able to meet at Panera Bread for breakfast with my friend, and then picked up my parents and the boys as well as Kylee from school, and was off to lunch with a some more friends!
Me with Kaden and Ky, Carrie with Allison and Amy with Isaac
The big group (minus 2 sleeping babies)
We came home after lunch and Jim had another surprise for me. I was to report at Roots Salon to get my hair done and a pedicure at 2pm. It was wonderful to have my parents there to care for my kids as I enjoyed such luxury. After my appointment, I hurried home to see my sister Sheila, her husband, Paul, and their baby, Nathan, who had just arrived. It was so exciting to have family here and I loved having an afternoon of just hanging out with them all!!
Enjoying my sweet nephew, Nathan

Sheila blowing bubbles for my boys

Cole helping Papa take photos of Ky

Papa playing with the kids in the front yard

blowing out the candles on the delicious cake Nana had made

Kids helping Nana cut the delicious birthday cake

family photo

the kids with mommy - we all loved the cake!!
Next, Jim and I got ready to go out on a double date with Sheila and Paul at my favorite Italian restaurant, BRAVO. Mom and Dad, again, graciously volunteered to watch all 5 kids so we could enjoy an evening with adult conversation. So thoughtful!!
Sheila blowing bubbles for my boys
Cole helping Papa take photos of Ky
Papa playing with the kids in the front yard
blowing out the candles on the delicious cake Nana had made
Kids helping Nana cut the delicious birthday cake
family photo
the kids with mommy - we all loved the cake!!
Next, Jim and I got ready to go out on a double date with Sheila and Paul at my favorite Italian restaurant, BRAVO. Mom and Dad, again, graciously volunteered to watch all 5 kids so we could enjoy an evening with adult conversation. So thoughtful!!
Ready to go!
When we got to the restaurant, we were told our table was ready and were escorted back. Before I knew it, the wall of thick, velvet drapes before me was pulled back and behind it stood nearly 40 friends from our Sunday school class. I was absolutely shocked! I couldn't believe that Jim had pulled this off without my knowledge!!
Paul and Sheila, Troy and Connie, Sheri and Jeff (and kids), Me and Jim
(missing from the photo are Becky and Brian)
Schwartz family, Carrie and Jason, Herman family, Amy and Eric
Aron family and half the Johnson family (missing from photo are Kyle and Eli, Laura and kids)
The beautiful birthday cake that was made by dear friends Amy and Carrie
It was certainly a team effort to pull off all these incredible surprises throughout the day. I was touched and humbled and certainly felt very loved and celebrated.
Even if I am getting old. :O)
2 comments:
You crack me up! 30 is not old. But I remember your parents after they'd been married for about 15 years were told by someone at their church "You guys aren't really in the young married group anymore."
Sounds like a super day! Love the cake. Love the photos. And so glad Jim is your husband. What a sweet guy to do so much for your birthday.
WOW, Terra! What an amazing Birthday!! You have such a sweet, creative husband, and so many caring friends and family. I'm so glad you got to be pampered and spoiled on your special day (:
Post a Comment