"Every foster parent knows how hard, yet rewarding, it can be to care for a child with a difficult past and an uncertain future. Christie Erwin has been a mom, in the middle, for countless children over nearly 2 decades. In this poignant and insightful book, she honestly shares the reality of making yourself vulnerable to the pain and indescribable delight of giving your heart away to a child. If you have ever considered foster parenting and just aren't sure you have what it takes, let Christie's inspiring, faith-filled story assure you that there is One who can and will equip you with all you need."
And, in the aftermath of saying good bye to her first foster son, she wrote these words, to which I can relate all too well:
"God is faithful. He took my grief and began the process of teaching me life lessons about the call He placed on my heart... Lesson number one: Doing God's work is not easy. I love fun and games! I love for people to be happy. But life is not always fun and games. He did not promise me, when He called me to be a foster mom, that there would be no pain, no grief, no sacrifice. Lesson number two: Along with the other things, grief is part of the sacrifice I present to Him every time I embrace a baby for the first time. Foster care costs. And lesson number three: If I do not love each child from the minute I touch him/her, as if they are my own with total abandon, with my whole heart and soul, God would not have called me to this ministry. These children don't need a mother who is detached; they have already experienced loss. They need a mother who will throw open her heart, throw open her arms and embrace them with a love that changes everyone and everything. Heavenly Father, let that be me."
2 comments:
What a GREAT find!!! Exactly what you've needed!!! I'm so glad for the encouragement you have found through Christie's many experiences. Take heart.
Love you,
Mom R.
WOW Terra....what a great book!!! I will have to read that!
Post a Comment