Friday, September 14, 2007

As You Lead

School has started and more than ever I'm feeling the waves of competition. At a recent parent meet and greet for the 4K class, I heard many a parent bragging about their child's accomplishments, stating how "much more" advanced they were, and talking about the many classes and activities they had their child signed up for. Wow, I thought, this is sure a different environment! And I'm not one who likes to play the game of competition. Suddenly, though, in my mind, I began asking myself if my choice to not yet schedule my kids in structured activities was the right one. Will my kids be behind because they haven't started tennis, swimming, golf AND ski lessons by age 3? (Yes, there was one child who was in his 2nd year of doing all the above activities!!) As I was telling Jim about the meet and greet and the conversations that were had, he looked at me and said, ever so gently and strongly, "Terra, our daughter has Jesus in her heart." And, without saying so much in words, he spoke volumes to my heart. Yes, we have consciously decided not to over-schedule our kids in many structured activities. Instead, we have wanted for them a carefree, fun filled childhood where they are enjoying and learning about God's creation and creating friendships. We are teaching obedience, respect for authority, responsibility as well as loving, serving and caring about others. But most importantly, we have tried our very best (with many mistakes, of course) in our actions, words, priorities and choices to exemplify Christ to our children. Above all else, there is nothing more we could aspire for our children than for them to know and love their Creator and Savior. This needs to remain our goal in raising our children, despite what the world aspires to.

As I look forward into the year, I can already see God at work on my heart. I will need to remain focused on Him, on His expectations and standards and remember that His priorities are what matter to our family. Yes, I will be tempted by other families to "keep up", but as He is the Lord of our lives, I must continually look to Him to lead us into every commitment. I pray that I will consistently listen and follow His leading.

No comments: