Monday, August 13, 2007

Fistfuls of Flowers

It was a wonderful morning and I was so sad to not have a camera! Our lives have been a bit complex lately with so much going on, but when I realized we had an unscheduled morning, I quickly rounded up the kids and headed off to a park. We chose a new park to explore on this particular day, and it was wonderful because we were the only ones there. Not only that, but beyond the playground was a large hill and enormous, green, grassy field! Oh how I love wide open spaces! The kids tried out the play structures for a bit, but when I announced there was a large hill they could roll down, suddenly that's all they cared about!! The boys took to rolling down the hill again and again and again all the while shouting, "Watch me, Mommy! Watch me!" Kylee, meanwhile, enjoyed picking sweet, purple honeycomb flowers that were sprinkled about in the grass and chasing after grasshoppers and ladybugs. After the boys were dizzy from so much rolling, we collectively decided to "explore" the rest of the field. Colson took the lead stating, "We're going on a hike through the grass!" Kylee couldn't believe all the flowers scattered about and picked them one by one, having me see and smell each and every one. Kaden would just run, then throw himself into the grass in giggles. "I'm so brave, Mommy!" he told me, as he so often does.

By the end of our adventure, the kids were so proud to have completed our hike and to have finished climbing the mountain (the grassy hill) to get back to the car. Each of them presented me with their own collection of flowers, grass blades, dandelions and such and I felt so proud as I held my fistful of flowers from my little ones. What a wonderful day! It was so great to see my kids abandon the brightly colored play structures to go enjoy God's beautiful creation. I hope that throughout life (in things much more important than play structures) they will choose to abandon the things of the world and instead enjoy the many wonderful, simple things God has for them, including fistfuls of flowers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work, Terra. I didn't understand your analogy until the last sentence. Well done! And great word pictures, too -- I could plainly "see" the kids rolling, "hiking", picking, showing, giving -- living and loving. It's a great Mom they've got, and a great Dad, earthly and otherwise.

We love you!
Mom and Dad B.