Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"Jesus can put his heart back together!"


Today we got to visit a new little friend of ours, Reed Paul, who was just born last week on July 30th! He is beautiful and so precious and it was so wonderful to just hold him and remember back when my little ones were just so little. This precious baby boy, however, has a heart condition and has to have open heart surgery within the next couple months. Our friends, the parents, are believers and are handling the news with a positive, trusting attitude, but of course it's hard on them. I found that it hit me a bit harder than I expected and as I prayed for them I felt my heart break for the parents as they will have to watch their newborn son suffer through this surgery and recovery. I believe that I am especially sensitive towards this after spending the last 1.5 years watching my sister and her husband help their son struggle through leukemia. As a parent, I know how painful it is to have to watch your child suffer, though I've never been called upon to help them suffer through anything so tragic.

As my kids caught me teary eyed, I told them about baby Reed and the "hole in his heart". Together we prayed for him and his family. Later, as we left baby Reed's house, Kylee asked a lot of questions about it and I tried to answer them. We talked about how sad it is, but how Reed's mommy and daddy, who know Jesus, can use this as a chance to tell other people about believing in Jesus. Kylee then said, "Mommy, you know that Jesus can just put his heart back together!" I love child-like faith!

No comments: