Friday, August 3, 2007

"I not Kaden, I Colson!"








Besides constantly having to tell people who is who (a responsibility the boys have recently undertaken themselves), I often wonder as I watch my little boys interact what it's like to be an identical twin. Sometimes it seems like a blast, as they laugh gregariously at something only they understand, or play hard together at a game they themselves spontaneously invented. There is always a constant playmate and they are often each others best friend. They look in the mirror at themselves but instead say, "that's brother!" When they get a snack or drink for themselves they also ask to get one for their brother. If one has to do time out, the other is bothered by it and will either go and share the time out or bring the brother in timeout toys to make it more enjoyable. It's precious.

However, there are many moments when even the best of friends fight, competing for the same mommy, wanting the same amount of attention or the same toy. It must get hard for them to constantly share everything - toys, room, schedule, etc. but that's really all they've ever known. I wonder as they grow how their twin relationship will affect them. Will my more brave and adventurous Kaden be an intimidation to my more cautious and careful Colson? Will my sweet, tender Cole resent the attention the more outgoing and silly Kade will get? Will their athletic abilities be the same? Will they like the same things? Will they be a great team and wonderful encouragers or will the competition be fierce? Will others see them as unique individuals, or always view them as part of a whole?

I suppose all I can do besides wonder about their future is pray and trust God with their lives. He has an amazing plan for each of them and I am very excited to see what's in store. In the mean time, He has given them the special blessing of an incredible friend right by their side day in and day out. And has given me the incredible blessing of being the mommy of these two precious little boys!!

No comments: