
It seems as though every time I step away from my children for even a moment, I am left with a "surprise". The other day the "surprise" I found as I descended the stairwell after organizing upstairs was a box of Raisin Bran Crunch scattered throughout the eat-in area, family room and entry way. Even more recently I stepped out of a quick shower to find Kaden and Colson with 2 boxes of granola bars, their sippie cups and a gallon of milk just outside my bathroom door. "Mommy, we have snack and milk?" they asked in unison. Yes, they hauled it all up the stairs and, thankfully, did not spill anything!! Other times there has been ink on the walls, "jumping contests" from the 5th stair up in the basement (Kaden has absolutely no fear!), neatly folded laundry piles strewn throughout the family room and recently cleaned rooms suddenly scattered with toys and clothes. Today as I was fixing a quick breakfast for myself at 11AM, the kids were on their 2nd snack of the day (besides breakfast). When I returned to them I found them dropping peanuts into the AC vent. Oh boy. Kylee was the ringleader on that one, so she had to reach into it, cobwebs and all, and gather the fallen peanuts. After a stern talking to, I advised the kids I was going upstairs to get my clothes on (it had been a lazy morning!) and I expected good behavior. I was promised a nice game of Simon Says in the living room. But, when I returned, instead of Simon Says, the boys had decided to invent a new game... "how many cups of water does it take to cover the hardwood bathroom floor?"
Sometimes these surprises cause me to stifle laughter as I attempt to sternly tell the kids their choices were not wise. Other days, like the peanut adventure today, it takes God-given strength to keep me from snapping and yelling at them. And then there are the moments, like the water on the floor today, when I am reduced to tears. I know that I need to expect such adventures in the lives of my children as a part of their expression of creativity and wonder, but some days I feel better equipped to handle these expressions than others. And though I will never perfect patience, I find so much guidance and wisdom in the Proverbs. Meditating on these words of wisdom (having patience, being slow to anger, giving gentle instruction, etc.) help me to get through days such as today.
No comments:
Post a Comment