Monday, August 20, 2007

Our Camping Adventure 2007







What a trip!! We started on the road about 11AM with a few stops to make on the way, but after lunch, a few errands and a return trip home for some forgotten items we headed out of town later than we thought, just past 1PM. However, we were right on time to make the 1 1/2 hour drive and check in at our campsite at the 3PM check in time. Perfect, I thought, plenty of time to set up camp and then get dinner started, as well as socialize with our friends who were to be camping at adjoining campsites. However, just 20 minutes from the campground, Jim decided he didn't trust my "we'll just find our way to the HWY" idea (the web site had not given complete directions, so I was going to use my great instincts to get us through town to the right Hwy) and decided to call for directions. That was actually a bright idea, however, the man Jim spoke to sent us up the wrong freeway and we ended up far from where we should have been. The 1.5 hour drive turned out to be 4 hours of touring south central WI by minivan. The kids had it and were fighting, and Jim and I were frustrated as well. By the time we got to camp at 5:30pm we all tore out of the van and breathed in the fresh air. We were quick to make ammends with one another and were set on making this a wonderful family weekend. We changed our dinner plans to make it quick and simple and were able to enjoy a family walk, then a campfire (complete with smores) with our friends before the kids were very anxious and eager to go to bed in the tent. After they were tucked in, Jim and I got to spend some more time around the campfire before turning in ourselves. We cuddled up next to each other and thanked God for this opportunity to be out in His creation as a family. A couple hours later I was awakened by some rustling bags outside of our tent. Probably some critters, I thought and tried to get back to sleep. Soon, however, I heard our large plastic bins full of pots, pans and other camping gear being jostled about and sat up startled. That's no little critter! I thought, as I woke my heavy sleeper husband out of his slumber. "Listen! Something's out there!" I said. Jim woke up fully when he also heard the bins clattering about. He clapped his hands loudly to try and frighten the animal away. In return, the animal started growling and snarling. Definintely not a small critter!! We heard it walk towards the tent, it's body brushing the side of the tent near to where my little boys lay fast asleep. It was breathing heavy and continued to growl as it sat a few feet from the tent. I suddenly didn't feel that the thin nylon layer of tent was of much protection to my little family and grabbed all the kids sleeping bags and pulled them towards mine. "Jim! We have to do something! I'm so scared, we've got to protect our kids!" I must have whispered that a dozen times as I huddled my kids close to my trembling body, still hearing the growling and breathing outside of the tent. Jim used the remote to our car to lock the doors several times, making the lights flash and the car beep, hoping it would scare the animal away. After a few growl-free moments, Jim climbed out of the tent and put all the bins inside the car. The garbage had been torn into and he threw it far from our tent, until we could clean it up in the morning. He returned with his knife in hand, just in case. He definitely was able to remain calm and collected.... I wish I had that same capability! I told him I'd try to sleep, but it would be hard for me... what if it came back? What was it? What if it attacked? He tried to reassure me that it (whatever IT was) only wanted our food, but it was a hard sell for me, who still remained upright, holding onto my 3 sleeping babies with my heart pounding away in my chest. "God, please protect us" I uttered as I curled in a ball near my children, with my husband's strong arms around my waist. "We'll be ok," he continued to comfort. Well, the animal returned, sitting again just feet from our tent, still growling away. Jim and I were frozen and he warned me not to draw attention to our tent. After an eternity (probably only 10 min.) of listening to deep growls, Jim hit the car remote button a few more times and eventually the animal disappeared. We heard it again moments later making a loud, hissing, "MRRRROOOWWW!" at another animal, which made lights in a nearby campsite go on. Jim tried to get a look at the animal, but to no avail. Our best guess would be a bobcat after hearing the unique feline screech. But we'll never really know. I sat awake most of the remainder of the night, being startled by any and every sound. The kids actually slept until 7:30, but it still felt much too early for me!! However, it was sweet to see them wake up with bright smiles and excitment written all over their faces. They couldn't wait to start their day! Clouds had covered the sky and it felt cool, but after bundling a bit we headed outside, made up a great camp meal of french toast and bacon and played some games of red light/green light with the other kids. We decided to take a quick hike, before the rain started, but ended up hiking the majority of the time in the rain. No problem, though, the kids did great and were not at all bothered! Once back at camp the rain fell harder. We again huddled in our tent and ate snacks, played games and sang songs. The kids were having a blast and it really was a fun time to be together as a family. The kids didn't resist at all when we laid them down for naps a bit later. After naps, as the rain continued, a group of us gathered under one friend's tarp that covered their table. More food, more games and even more rain. Some of the campers mentioned packing up early, but then decided to first hit the caves. We decided to stay back and continued to have family time under the tarp. It took awhile of feeling cold and wet before Jim suggested that we also pack up and head home early. I wasn't sure I wanted to, but after running to and from the bathroom a few times with the kids in the pouring rain, hearing thunder rolling overhead (not good to have thunder/lightning storms when you're on the tallest peak in WI!) and being warned that the rain was only supposed to continue, I decidecd it might be a good idea to go. Jim packed up all our wet gear while I entertained the kids, who continued to have fun and enjoy themselves. We left a note for our friends that we'd headed back and were sure they'd be following us soon.

While we returned, unpacked our wet things into the basement and cleaned up, the rain never stopped. Jim and I took the kids to their favorite restaurant, designed for kids, and they had even more fun. Thunder and lightning crashed through the sky and we wondered how our friends were doing. Turns out, they stayed and were so soaked that there was only 1 dry sleeping bag between them all! We were very glad to have returned home early and to have enjoyed a warm, dry night in our comfortable beds!!

No comments: